Friday, November 22, 2013

Pregnancy : Gestational Diabetes



What causes gestational diabetes?

Gestational diabetes is thought to arise because the many changes, hormonal and otherwise, that occur in the body during pregnancy lead some women to become resistant to insulin. 
Insulin is a hormone made by specialized cells in the pancreas that allows the body to effectively use glucose for fuel (energy). When levels of insulin are low, or the body cannot effectively use insulin, blood glucose levels rise.
Most pregnant women are tested between the 24th and 28th weeks of pregnancy.

OGTT on week 29

(OGTT) oral glucose tolerance test 
A glucose tolerance test measures how well your body is able to break down glucose, or sugar  glucose,that is the body's main source of energy.


I do not have family history of diabetes but my gynae arrange OGTT because my baby has already overweight : 
800g++ @ Week 24
1.5kg++ @ Week 28




Procedure : 


I was told to fast from 12am until the next morning.The nurse advise I cant drink water to have an accurate reading.If really thirsty, just a sip will do.

The first fasting plasma : 5.4 
(Normal range: 3.3 to 5.5)

After this I was given a very sweet drink (75g glucose) to finish within 5mins.

I was told to come back for 2nd test after 2hr, continued to fast , expect to stay in the clinic, dont move for accurate reading.
I did what she said.
My second reading  : 9.2 
(Normal range : 5.5 to7)
She said"You have failed the test"
At that moment I was shattered. 
I didnt expect me to get gestational diabetes.

Gynae expect me to be on diabetes diet plan for the next 12weeks until delivery.

I need to do another self home test to ensure the my glucose level is under control with the diet plan.

Self prick myself to do the test consecutive 2days,7times a day.
Before first meal & 2hr after every meal. 
If I failed the the test, I need to inject insulin which could be once , twice or three times a day depend on my condition.

The glucometer ,disposable needles & test strips : 





Diabetes diet plan : 

Eat 6small meals & regularly on time:

Breakfast
midmorning tea
Lunch
afternoon tea
Dinner
Supper


NO sugars & sweet food
Eat small amount of fats & oil

Found it is a challenge : 
1) I dont wakeup early which mean mid morning tea will be skip
2)No sweet foods which is my fav 
3)I dont eat so much meal in a day 
4)I need to find the certain type of food for the diet plan etc wholemeal bread...as most bakery dont really sell wholemeal nowadays.

Some of my meals: 

lunch / dinner : 


tea : 



First day: 
Follow strictly to the diet plan & 7tests.
Always seem to feel very hungry cos small portions
 
Second day:
Was very tired because, I slept about 1am++ because of the after supper 2 hour test.
I wakeup @ 6am ++ & cant really sleep.
Hence I decided to skip midmorning breakfast to catch some sleep.
I have a nap 1hr after breakfast & my glucose level become higher but still at normal level.

One of my reading : 


I felt very tired & weak with this diet plan.
My Glucose fall below the normal range sometimes but my gynae didnt mention anything.
He ask me to continued with this diet.



Personally feel the OGTT @ clinic may not be accurate : 
1)There is no glucose presence in my urine
2) nobody would drink such a sweet drink
3)Cannot move at all for 2hrs-who would not move at all?
4)Cannot drink-I dont think I wont drink any water after such a sweet drink & within 2 hours

Nevertheless I still trust the gynae & clinic  professionalism in this area. 



No comments:

Post a Comment